Wednesday, May 5, 2010

[ns2] Do you really need NAM?

NAM
Recently, I've got few people asking about installation NAM (network animator) in NS2. Usually it is quite straightforward to do it in Linux. But it's quite tricky in Windows (with Cygwin). To be honest, I have not tried to use NAM in Cygwin. If I have time, I might try and let you know.




Have Not Try?
You might wonder what I mean by I have not tried to use NAM. Won't I need it to do the research work? But the fact is I don't have any need to use NAM in my 10 years of research work.
Performance measures that I use are for example average and variance of throughput, delay, fairness, etc. These parameters cannot measured by NAM. That's why I have never use NAM. Because of this, I have never had problem of installing X-Window in Cygwin.

If not NAM, then What?
There are several other ways to measure performance. For example, if you would like to know TCP throughput, just print out the final sequence number of a TCP flow and divide that number by the simulation time.
In other cases, I do need to write the information to text files or analyze the trace file. I will blog about it. Please stick around.

Comments?
I will be interested to know the cases where NAM is required, apart from the fact that it nicely moves. If you have any, I would be appreciated if you let me know.

==============================================================




For more information about NS2, see the following book from Springer:
T. Issaraiyakul and E. Hossain, “Introduction to Network Simulator NS2”, Springer 2009.


You may also find lecture notes and other resource at the following website: http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~teerawat/NS2.htm

No comments: