Tuesday, April 26, 2011

List of MAC OSX Command Line

I just find a very useful site which contains a list of MAC OSX command line. Check out [ here ].


Command Line Interface
Terminal is a useful utility, which allows advanced users to work with command line interface (CLI). A lot of programmers prefer this mode due to its flexibility to customize things.

Even for semi-advanced users, Terminal looks scary. One of the problems is that you don't know the command name and their syntax. Documentation is long and some time hard to read. But for sure, it require a lot of effort to comb through the documentation to get what you do using CLI. So a lot of users just give up using CLI.


SS64
Recently, I find a useful site, which lists the most frequently used commands for various platforms, e.g., OSX, Oracle, Windows. The list is not too long and is accompanied with short description. In my opinion, it is a very good reference site. Check out [ here ].

My Personal Use: Copy file content to clipboard. 
Let me give you an example use. Do you know that OSX has a command "pbcopy"? To me, I would like to copy the content in a text file to the clipboard. Here is what I do:

  1. Type "less myfile.txt | pbcopy" at the command prompt.
  2. Press Command + V on the application that I would like to paste the content (Note: in Windows, press Ctrl + V).
Pretty cool isnt' it?

No comments: