Sunday, February 28, 2010

Book Summary: Why Am I Doing This?

You guys might have seen plenty of websites for book reviews. But, book summary, there are not many of them. Why I am I doing this? It actually come out of my frustration. In fact, I want to do it for myself. So, I might as well share it with you guys. The followings are the reasons why I am doing book summary. BTW, my choice is audiobooks, not paper-based books.

What I Learn from Reading the Book

It takes time to finish up a book. And, when you do, sometimes, you want to review what you learn from the book. One of the best way is to make note as we read (how many of us would do that?) After you reach the end of the book, you can review your note and recall what you've read earlier.

Looking for a Piece of Information

After some time, you may recall that you came across something. But you don't remember it very clearly. The summary of the book will help a lot.

More than Book Review

There are 3 pieces of information you may want to know before reading a book. The first one is book review, where reviewers share their opinion on books. I think the reviews is the best place to talk about the writing style of authors. The second one is the table of contents, which, I think, is very useful. Table of contents gives you the overall structure of the book. It shows you what to expect of the book. Finally, the last piece is the summary. This is the deepest level of information. It contains the insight drawn from the book.

What the summary does not give you is the details and entertainments. If you love reading, you would know what I mean. A good book keeps you engaged. You want to keep reading one page after another, and you cannot put it down. The summary does not give you that kind of sensation. No offense, but if you think reading the summary will save you time from having to read the book, you are obviously wrong.

Even Greater with Audiobooks

All of the above positive things get intensified, when you are dealing with audiobooks. Unlike paper-based books, audiobooks cannot flipped through page by page. The longest audiobook that I have listened lasts for more than 21 hours. If you don't know where, within the 12 hours, what you are looking for is located, you're going to end up listening for a very long time. Not pleasant, right?

Summary and Spoiler

The line is quite thin. Summary is something useful to know before and after the reading. However, spoiler destroys the moods and the funs of reading the book. To me, I think summaries of novels are spoiler. Therefore, the summary you will find in this blog are mostly of the non-fiction genre. Giving key insights and the organization of books, the summary makes it easier and more entertaining when reading the book. Summary or spoiler? I guess you guys would be the judge.

No comments: