Saturday, September 19, 2009

iTune 9.0 and the missing podcasts

Can't find the content? Perhaps You are in the wrong country.

Do you know that iTune stores are different from countries to countries. If you are in an unfortunate country (e.g., Russia, Thailand). The content in the iTune store you see is quite limited. See below for example,



I am one of an unfortunate man, since the contents I like are mostly in the US. A fresh installation of iTune 9.0 does not allow me to see a wide variety of contents. On the other hand, people who install iTune 9.0 on a some country can access a lot more contents such as music, movies, podcasts, and so on. Look below for a screenshot for iTune stores in the US.


Unfortunately, my favorite podcasts (e.g., Security now, Businessweek, the world) are not available in some countries (including mine). By default, I cannot access the content I like.

Still want the content? Let's get around.

In order to browse, search, or download podcasts, I need to fool iTune that I am not at the place where I am (e.g, not in Russia or Thailand). iTune does not make that easy for the users. But I get aound it and here is how.

  1. Go to iTune store
  2. Click "Sign In" (see the picture above)
  3. Click "Create New Account"
  4. Click "Continue"
  5. Click on the arrow after "If the billing address of your payment information is not in the United STates, click here"
  6. Now you can change your iTune store to your favourite country, by choosing at "Select a country" and click "Change Country"
And now, you should be able to see the content as people in the US see. I wish Apple would make this process easier. If any of you know an easier way to do this, please let me know. I am curious to know how.

No comments: